|Are you someone who can’t stop eating sugar?
Sweet satisfaction or sweet destruction?
Got to have a little something sweet every day?
If you lack satisfaction in your life, you may be attracted to quick sugar fixes like chocolate or chocolate cake. The quicker and higher your sugar levels rise after you have had a sweet treat, the faster and lower it will drop afterwards. And once again, you will be left feeling agitated and dissatisfied.
Many women crave sugar pre-menstrually, yet sugar in excess can be a significant contributor to Menstrual disturbances, Chronic Fatigue, Cancer, and Diabetes to name a few.
Getting off the sugar roller coaster is not as easy as said, but the benefits for your waistline and moods will be worth the effort. Without the stress of a sugar hit which is always accompanied by fatigue, you will experience greater inner peace and stability; also there will be a big boost to your immune system. But how do you ditch those powerful cravings?
Often our bodies will exhibit cravings for sweets when we are lacking certain nutrients in our body. A sugar addiction can be quite detrimental to our wellness and many of us are very so addicted to the sweet stuff.
Here are a few tips to break your sugar addiction
• Firstly as soon as the craving arises, drink a glass of water with a squeeze of lemon juice. Water is essential for reducing the cravings.
• Ditch the artificial sweeteners because they actually cause intense cravings for sugar – many people gain weight because of artificial sweeteners. Use the natural sweetener stevia, or agave syrup as a replacement.
Perfect all-natural alternative to sugar and artificial sweeteners
• Eat breakfast that is NOT sweet, don’t have the cornflakes or sweetened muesli’s. Always choose a source of protein for breakfast. For example poached or scrambled eggs, brown rice, or lean protein, avocado or blanched vegetable, salad and a couple of Brazil nuts. Have a whey protein smoothie if you are short on time, and include some ground nuts and seeds in there as well. The biggest reason for sugar cravings is a lack of protein. Eat enough so that you feel satisfied, and regularly enough so that you feel stable, and you won’t crave so much junk. Snack on protein throughout the day too.
• Take the mineral Chromium on a daily basis whilst giving up sugar – Chromium will help curb the sugar cravings, help maximize energy, and support fat management.
Supports balanced blood sugar levels and helps manage cravings
Spirulina is a great source of protein and other nutrients to help keep your blood sugar levels stable. Include Spirulina in your smoothies or just mix in water and drinks between meals to get the protein intake up. Coconut oil should also be used every day as this helps to curb sugar cravings. Use it for cooking or in your smoothies, or just eat it of the spoon.
• Read labels. You might be surprised to learn how much sugar there is in a lot of the foods that you eat. Being aware of sugar content can help you avoid high-sugar foods and kick the addiction. Stay away from the packaged foods and stick to the basics of whole grains, protein fruit and vegetables and good fats like coconut oil.
• Really try and eliminate caffeine – caffeine can stimulate your brain to crave sugar
• Exercise away the craving. Substitute an exercise high for a sugar high. Exercise makes you feel more empowered to deal with your cravings.
• Drink green tea. Not only is it an anti-inflammatory to help you deal with the stress response, but its bitter taste kills the desire for sugar. Soon it will serve as a relaxation cue
• Treat yourself to a massage – The first week of sugar abstinence is hard, when the cravings are at their most powerful. Be kind to yourself: this is not the time to tackle a large project, to implement lots of changes, or to work overtime. Introduce some form of relaxation into your week.
• And if you really need a little nourishment without the guilt then try a little raw organic 70% dark chocolate sweetened with the low GI Sweetener agave syrup, we love the raw organic brand called Loving Earth.
Organic Raw Dark chocolate - 72% Raw Cacao
Most people do not realise that sugar suppresses the immune system and upsets the mineral balance in the body, depleting copper and chromium and interferes with the absorption of calcium and magnesium. Refined Sugar can exacerbate arthritis and asthma and has a marked contribution to the formation of kidney and gallstones.
So do yourself a favour now and kick that addiction in the butt.